Thursday, March 4, 2010

on the progression of the Jensen living room

We bought a couch!

Ok, it's really a loveseat, but we don't have room (nor do we need) a full-fledged couch, so this one is perfect.  Maybe someday I'll have the energy to take a picture of it and put it here, but for the meantime, you'll just have to take my word for it.  It's a dark blue velvety fabric (I'd say halfway between crushed and non-crushed, to be specific), and the cushions are incredible squishy, and overall it's quite pleasant.  We were going to buy a red and black futon, which overall would've made our living room a lot more coordinated, but the metal arms were a big turn-off for Ricky:

"I'm a leaner," he explained. "Can you lean on those metal arms?  No.  Well, you could, but it would be really uncomfortable." 

In other words, he wants leaning AND comfort, and luckily craigslist provided both these things in our $35 loveseat.  $35!  The thing doesn't have a scratch or stain on it, and it's as plump as a bag of marshmallows, and the only reason the owners were getting rid of it was because they rearranged the room and didn't have room for it anymore.  And somehow, our living room finally feels like a room for living with this cozy little couch here.  After this astounding purchase, I did a gleeful inventory of our slow-growing living room collection, and was delighted to find out that all of our furniture put together--a couch, an entertainment center, a television, two bookcases, a small shelf for our board games, a mounted coat rack, and combination DVD/VHS player--totals about $90!  This is, of course, excluding our 7-foot lovesac, and our various Nintendo systems, but I figure those don't count because they were pre-marital.  The point is, since we've been married, we've only spent $90 on our living room, and the only thing we're still looking for is a desk.  Those who know how much I love not spending a lot of money on things--which should be all of you, because I make this a well-known fact--will know how pleased I am with this state of affairs.  I'll do a little tweaking when we move, because I want the coat rack and one bookshelf painted black to match the entertainment center, but overall it's definitely shaping up.  If anyone has a desk they'd like to get rid of...

Oh yeah, and speaking of moving, Ricky's been accepted to three law schools!  Ave Maria (Naples, FL--on the Gulf Coast!), Appalachian State (Grundy, VA--pretty much like BV), and the University of Detroit (Michigan, obviously).  He has scholarships at the first two, and we're still waiting to hear from U of D, but the chances are good.  We're still waiting on a good handful of letters from other schools, but they should start rolling in shortly!  We'll see where fate (and by "fate," I mean "Divine Guidance and/or Intervention") takes us.  Ricky and I still can't believe we're going to be moving and going to graduate school (the plan is for me to start in the spring, depending on my employment status) and being real-life post-graduate newly-marrieds.  I don't know if I'm ready for three hypenated descriptive terms at once!

In other news, Ricky and I watched "The Brave Little Toaster" on our new VHS player.  It was glorious.

3 comments:

Sara K. said...

Appalachian State is in my home stake! You would see my family because they both have stake callings! But don't let this affect your decision. Also, if you went to Appalachian I would be jealous.

Pennilesspo8 said...

"In other news, Ricky and I watched "The Brave Little Toaster" on our new VHS player. It was glorious"

^perfect example why I love you and you will always be my U.S.. Btw, let me know where y'all choose to go/move. Thomas and I plan to stay here when we get married, but we do like VA.

Holli said...

Glad to hear your couch is working out well!

Also, a little jealous that you watched The Brave Little Toaster. I have fond memories of that movie.